Having a layout would help immensely weather it was uniform or not.  I always
shoot from left to right, bottom to top.  I to have a panosaurus head (recently
purchased) and it does wonderfully when i can get Hugin to work.  My biggest
headaches in Hugin is turning photos because (i've been told, mismatched cp).
It's such a headache i've abandoned auto CP finding almost entirely and went to
manual location.  However with layout and turning restrictions while the pano
might still have bad CP at least you could assume to be in the ballpark.

On a side note, watching the list and seeing all the ideas, I've wondered if
Hugin's original goal has been discarded in favor of new features.  While I
think stacking, etc. and a large assortment of photo manipulations is great,
shouldn't Hugin do "great" what it originally was intentioned on doing?

This brings me to my conclusion.  If Hugin were to again focus on it's original
intention, a very good pano stitcher and layout program, wouldn't we need a new
algorithm for a completely free and oss CP finder program?  I'd like to see
Hugin ditch sift and surf for something oss and gpl, and something that worked
well.

Dale