> Your welcome. Well, I really don't know all that much about HSM and I
hate
> to sound simplistic but what I would do if tasked with this exercise
is
> use our sandbox to turn compaction off and then force ML1 action and
> measure CPU. I would then turn compaction on and then force ML1 action
and
> measure. I'm sure there is a way this can be done. Maybe one of the
more
> technically able HSM Listers can come up with something a bit more
elegant
> if this does not sound reasonable.

Has anyone checked to see whether there's any practical reason (i.e.
$$$) to migrate at all? Disk is pretty cheap these days and HSM is a
notable pig in most shops, ours included.

I question the value of spending CPU cycles shoveling bits from one cold
place to another - typically in the same array. If it were mine, I'd
leave it spinning on disk until it was so old it had cobwebs on it. Then
if I cared enough about the space, I'd shove it out to a big fat tape
vault and forget about it. YMMV.

CC