On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:43:05 -0500, Craddock, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Has anyone checked to see whether there's any practical reason (i.e.
>$$$) to migrate at all? Disk is pretty cheap these days and HSM is a
>notable pig in most shops, ours included.
>
>I question the value of spending CPU cycles shoveling bits from one cold
>place to another - typically in the same array. If it were mine, I'd
>leave it spinning on disk until it was so old it had cobwebs on it. Then
>if I cared enough about the space, I'd shove it out to a big fat tape
>vault and forget about it. YMMV.

Exactly! I'm sure it does depend on the shop's ML1 rules, but most of
the shops I've been at (including this one) migrate way to aggressivly
to ML1. After a normal weekend or after a 3 day weekend like we just had
you wouldn't believe how much [EMAIL PROTECTED] gets recalled. Monday mornings
are a
nightmare for ML2 tape recalls too (which doesn't make a lot of sense
to me - except that some of the ML1 to ML2 rules might be in multiples of
7 days). I've had this discussion many times with storage admins. Perhaps
this is mostly "history" and the problem with changing all that ML1 data
to real DASD is getting / justifying the "extra" DASD.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America and Farmers Insurance Group