REPRO MERGECAT would move the entries that are OPEN, but would get an error
when attempting to remove the record from the SOURCE catalog.  But, the real
problem for these OPEN datasets (assuming they are VSAM) is twofold.
Assuming you moved the entries for these OPEN files to another catalog:

1.  If an I/O causes an extent, the I/O would fail as VSAM has the catalog's
ACB address in an OPEN control block.  This was established when the file
was opened and will thus point to the original source catalog. Since the
records for this dataset now reside in a different catalog, the I/O fails.

2.  Part of the SYSVSAM ENQ RNAME structure contains the catalog name.  If
you move an entry that is OPEN to another catalog, you just violated the
entire SHAREOPTION functionality.  For example, if your dataset is defined
with SHR(2,3) and the file is currently opened for OUTPUT, once you move the
entries to another catalog, another user would be able to successfully open
the same file for output.  You would now have 2 users who have opened the
same file for OUTPUT and the file is defined with SHR(2,3).

Sorry to say, but you would need a vendor tool to accomplish the move while
datasets are OPEN.  Dino-Software has such a tool: Teradon.  I'd be happy to
discuss this with you offline.  Feel free to call and/or email me anytime.

Larry Crilley

Dino-Software Corporation

800.480.DINO

412.366.3566

<outbind://92-000000000C19A532C55CD94285A5E250EF9EC5A7445E7B00/www.dino-soft
ware.com> www.dino-software.com

 <blocked::blocked::http://www.dino-software.com/trex_factsheet.php> T-REX -
Superior ICF catalog mgmt with full Tape support and HSM Auditing
 <blocked::blocked::http://www.dino-software.com/reorgadon_factsheet.php>
REORGadon - First ever online REORG for HSM
 <blocked::blocked::http://www.dino-software.com/teradon_factsheet.php>
TERADON - First ever REPRO MERGECAT While-OPEN
 <blocked::blocked::http://www.dino-software.com> XTINCT - Secure DASD/TAPE
data eradication
 <blocked::blocked::http://www.dino-software.com/rtd_factsheet.php> RTD -
DASD Real Time Defrag
 <blocked::blocked::http://www.dino-software.com/dal_details.php> DAL - DINO
healthcheck Analysis service for Legato
 <blocked::blocked::http://www.dino-software.com/sentinel_factsheet.php>
SENTINEL - Real-time FTP Management. All Secure, all the time.