On 12 Jan 2010 16:21:08 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>>Rick of course you are quite correct. The newer portions of Z/os like OE and
>>TCP/IP/COBOL are horrendously documented.
>
>How long ago did you last check, Ed, when you were working on IBM Mainframes 5
>years ago?  :-)
>
>>Yes I know the COBOL finally put out a M&C but IBM's denial for so long that
>>it needs one is totally
>>unnatural (at least to me).
>
>You are confused again...we have always had messages and codes for COBOL
>run-time messages, since LE came
>out in 1991.  Maybe you could not find them, they are (and were) in the LE
>Run-time messages manual.
>
>>IIRC it took the combined effort of GUIDE/SHARE to pester IBM into better
>>doc. Maybe its time to renew the request?
>
>Speaking for COBOL, we have gotten quite a bit of positive feedback, including
>at least 2 different users
>who said that the COBOL Migration Guide was the best IBM manual they had ever
>seen!
>
>Cheers,
>TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<

If it is the language of the future when will IBM support the data
types in the 2002 standard, recognize IEEE BINARY floating point so
that COBOL can talk nicely to Java and C++ without a conversion
routine, recognize decimal floating point that Mike Cowlishaw worked
so hard on and based on compile option, 64 address areas to live
nicely with 64 bit C++ and Java (probably using XPLINK)?