Ted,

That may be all well and good in your environment, but there are many in
management at many shops who want capacity boiled down to a simple number.
If you say that it is more complicated then that, then they will just use it
as yet another reason to get rid of the mainframe.  If you have not had the
pleasure of working with this "new wave" of IT management you are lucky.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Ted MacNEIL <eamacn...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> >I did not mean to imply that it was -meaningful-.
> >Instead, in the proper context, such a number can be -useful-.
>
> With all due respect, for what?
> If it's not meaningful how can it be useful.
>
> LSPR/zPCR have, unless it's change recently, only tested to 32 CPUs.
> The rest they 'straight line' the MP effect, which is bogus!
>
> The MP effect is a regression curve and NOT linear.
>
> I asked our IBM rep, a few years ago for LSPR for machines above 32, and he
> told me that you had to use zPCR for that.
>
> Since they don't test all workloads, and they project incorrectly after 32,
> what validity do these figures have?
>
> And, the 'Technology Dividend' just obsfucates the issue.
>
> If understanding the capacity of a given family/model is tough for a
> capacity professional, what happens when a senior manager has to make a
> decision to spend millions based on a meaningless indicator?
>
> I don't know about you, but it scares me, since it impacts the bottom line.
>
> I've had arguments since IBM introduced tier-based pricing in 1984, and I
> fear they will never go away.
>
> But, I think we have to convince IBM, and the ISVs, to go back to flat-rate
> pricing.
>
> Hah! NOT in my life-time!
>
> -
> Ted MacNEIL
> eamacn...@yahoo.ca

CONFIDENTIALITY/EMAIL NOTICE: The material in this transmission contains
confidential and privileged information intended only for the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have
received this material in error and that any forwarding, copying, printing,
distribution, use or disclosure of the material is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this material in error, please (i) do not read it,
(ii) reply to the sender that you received the message in error, and
(iii) erase or destroy the material. Emails are not secure and can be
intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed
to have accepted these risks if you communicate with us by email. Thank you.