Software 'keys' are a huge PITA for reasons not so far mentioned.

-- In larger shops, software contracts are often managed exclusively by
bean-counter types far removed from the sysprogs who have to implement the
keys. When a product threatens to self destruct--or actually does so--the
responsible sysprog can got caught in the middle of a negotiation
shoot-out. Most vendors are kind enough to supply a 'temporary extension'
key while the lawyers mud wrestle. (It's not as sexy as you might imagine.
Or maybe it is.) The dire messages flying across the console--even
appearing in a user's joblog--are tawdry testament to our inability to
just get along.

-- While most vendors these days supply their products to be (at least
optionally) installed with SMPE, they all view themselves as sole guardian
priests of the divine software protection sword. Each vendor's incarnation
of this sword is unique to that vendor or even specific product. This
creates a dependency on individual SMEs who must be engaged to implement
and promulgate a new key. Vacation and holiday schedules only complicate
this monster dance.

I'm with Barry. Dispense with keys. Trust your customers. The potential
cost of a legal hassle should be enough to keep customers on the line. Or
close enough.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson