At Carnegie Mellon U (Carnegie Tech) in the 60s, Computer Science was only a graduate degree, so I took math with a computer option.

They offered a systems programming course which I took in my last semester. The instructor had no idea what to do, so he just assigned a team of students to work on a compiler implementation (actually as I recall it was a compiler-compiler whose input was the BN form which defined the language). Anyway, it was independant study, meaning that he met with us twice and turned us loose. Our team divided up the task and I took disk I/O routines. We never got it working, but the team leader turned in the listings of what we had in a big computer output binder. I got a C in the course and never understood why. Some years later I found that the team leader had put my listings in backwards. so you couldn't read them without undoing the binder, which was apparently too much work for the instructor.
So I am not a systems programmer but I play one on the Internet.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR