On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:26:23 -0500 Bruce Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

:>At Carnegie Mellon U (Carnegie Tech) in the 60s, Computer Science was
:>only a graduate degree, so I took math with a computer option.

:>They offered a systems programming course which I took in my last
:>semester.  The instructor had no idea what to do, so he just assigned a
:>team of students to work on a compiler implementation (actually as I
:>recall it was a compiler-compiler whose input was the BN form which
:>defined the language).

:>Anyway, it was independant study, meaning that he met with us twice and
:>turned us loose.  Our team divided up the task and I took disk I/O
:>routines.  We never got it working, but the team leader turned in the
:>listings of what we had in a big computer output binder.  I got a C in
:>the course and never understood why.  Some years later I found that the
:>team leader had put my listings in backwards. so you couldn't read them
:>without undoing the binder, which was apparently too much work for the
:>instructor.

:>So I am not a systems programmer but I play one on the Internet.

At Northeastern Illinois they had a few systems programming classes (late
70s).

One was to write a compiler, so I wrote a compiler for a PL1 subset (in PL1)
that generated assembler code. Did not implement I/O instructions, but it was
callable from Fortran. It came out to about a box of cards - I probably have
it around somewhere.

Another was database, where I wrote a program that would take a database
definition, validate it and report on it.

Of course, I started earlier, since the university "hid" the IEHLIST and
IEHPROGM programs (because some students tried all sorts of "interesting"
examples) so I wrote my own IEHLIST to display all the datasets on a volume
and members in PDS's (used OPENJ). BTW, the secret library was SYS$.LINKLIB.

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com