From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Robert A. Rosenberg
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 1:54 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: 2 LPARS Sharing 3494 ATL - Why does SY1 always update TCDB
?

At 23:34 -0500 on 03/11/2007, Russell Witt wrote about Re: 2 LPARS
Sharing 3494 ATL - Why does SY1 always update T:

>So many years ago (5+ I believe) we changed the CBRUXENT sample
>source so that a foreign tape was left in the "insert pending"
>category (and therefore other systems would be polled).

A (possibly) stupid question on this process - I can see how this
will work when the "foreign" tape is really one whose serial number
is owned by the 2nd (or subsequent) system to be polled but what
happens when a REAL foreign tape gets inserted? Since your code will
no longer automatically accept ownership of the tape when it is first
offered (under the assumption that it is a local tape owned by one of
the other systems) each system polled will pass it on expecting that
there is still another system who needs to be polled and offered the
tape. Once it is thus rejected by all systems, what happens? Is is
re-offered to the systems (possibly with a flag saying that this is a
second offer so that it will be accepted by the first system to get
the 2nd offer) or does it just hang in "insert pending" status due to
no system being willing to take responsibility for "owning" it?