From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tergerson, John
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 11:21 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SOC4 in DFSORT with DB2

George,

We got an 0C4, and also a U0083 symptom using DFSORT to do reorgs on a
tablespace with a lot of indexes.

The DBA had set up sortnum to 160 so they would never have to compute
sort work space.  When they reduced it to 80, things worked fine.  The
tablespace with the problem was small, but has lots of indexes.  Large
tablespaces with fewer indexes could be reorged with larger sortnum.

There are two new APARs we caused.  Look at OA21854 and ---- darn, I
can't get to IBMLink to find the other, if it was even assigned yet.

In our case, the large number of sortnum caused a condition that
exceeded the allowable size of the TIOT.  The allocation APAR is to give
the user a better symptom than abend0C4 to tell the user what is wrong.
The 0C4 is because the slot allocation was trying to free up was for
VIO, which does not have a control block they were looking for.

The DB2 APAR is to address an issue of why they were asking for an
enormous number of sortwork datasets.  I'll post that whenever I can
find it.  Asking for sortnum of 80 for most reorgs, though, gave us a
welcome bypass.

Hope that helps.

John

Confidentiality notice: The information included in this e-mail,
including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient
and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or similar action is
sender and delete all copies of the original message immediately.