<snip>
To have a comparable test you would need a 3rd step that referenced that
same data set (or a DD for that data set in the 2nd step).  With your
simple
two-step approach, the system dropped the ENQ after the first step because
no later step needed it.
<unsnip>

That's the part that I missed or missed that thread. I assumed that if the
dsn was able to be renamed in step 2, it wasn't used in further steps.
This is what I attempted to imply with 'with catalog as the disposition'.
Obviously I didn't do too well.

Jack Kelly
202-502-2390 (Office)