Hi, John,

No, while I have not had any say in how this is all set up, I meant we have
things like Class Max Tasks is set to 1 for many key transactions, in
several AOR regions.  Some of the transactions are coded in a way I saw many
years ago that I characterize as running a batch job in a CICS.  I hold my
breath while they run and pray the web side of the interactive workload
doesn't back up or time out and cascade to a bigger issue.  These exist for
historical reasons, which I am trying to be delicate about discussing.

We have a TOR and a couple of FOR regions.  We have enough online related
TCBs hot at a time that I lean more towards the 5 CPU machine, but some
others here want the 3 CPU machine to push the single threaded stuff faster.

My role in this is upgrade project is at a high level advisor as we upgrade
OS and processors.  Having done many of these kinds of things in the past in
other shops I'm helping with direction and focus of the people doing the
hand's on stuff.

Decisions on which of two processors is the latest point under discussion.

If I had a more hand's on role I would be doing some things differently than
other have in the past, like advising the applications teams to use more
efficient coding techniques.  I currently have other fish to fry here that
leaves me with this project a part time gig between emergencies.  (Details
available in off line discussions as these duties are not pertinent to
IBM-MAIN.  Suffice to say, a guy who's first sysprog exposure for real money
was in 1982 (last hands on in 2006), I have learned some new non-MF tricks
to pass the time.)

Thanks everyone for your answers,
Peter Duffy
LA, CA, USA, Earth