From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Binyamin Dissen
Sent: 27 April 2009 08:00
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Where are the device codes (returned by LOCATE) defined?

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 20:30:46 -0400 Gerhard Postpischil <gerh...@valley.net>
wrote:

:>Binyamin Dissen wrote:
:>> X'3010200E' = 3380 DISK DEVICE CODE

:>> Where is the table defined?

:>There is no one table. The basic information is similar, but not :>identical
to, fields UCBTBYT1-UCBTBYT4 in macro IEFUCBOB.

:>UCBTBYT3 (the x'20' above) is the device category, DASD in this :>case. These
are defined in the UCB macro.

:>UCBTBYT4 (x'0E') is the device type, 3380 in this case.

:>The leading two bytes are device dependent, and may describe :>device
characteristics and optional features (e.g., shared :>DASD). Some are in the
UCB macro, most are not. They're :>scattered in documentation all over the
place, usually hardware :>manuals or application notes.

I was hoping that there was some bit combination that would indicate a migrated
dataset.

Do all products (HSM, FDR, etc.) use the string MIGRAT as the VOLSER?

--
Binyamin Dissen <bdis...@dissensoftware.com> http://www.dissensoftware.com

Should you use the mailblocks package and expect a response from me, you should
preauthorize the dissensoftware.com domain.

I very rarely bother responding to challenge/response systems, especially those
from irresponsible companies.

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html