:>: -----Original Message-----
:>: >From: Uriel Carrasquilla <uriel.carrasqui...@mail.mcgill.ca>
:>: >Sent: Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
:>: >To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
:>: >Subject: Re: HSM - space for full recall
:>: >
:>: >We have all the HSM ML2 on VTL and the VTL guy is telling me that I am
:>: using 70 TBytes.
:>: >I believe I am using 40 TBytes.

Any chance one of you is measuring thingamajigs and the other doohickeys?

A card image dataset with 10 records contains 800 bytes of data but occupies
one track.  One thousand of these contain 800KB but consume 5.6MB of 3390
DASD.  It can get even worse if there are unused tracks in the last extent
or if the dataset needs to be reorganized (e.g., compress the PDS).

If the 70TB is based on tracks and the 40TB on content, there might not be a
discrepancy.

(And yes, I was surprised that both words passed the spell checker.)