From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Joseph Reichman
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:48 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Spool file

I have 3 vols SPOOL1 SPOOL2 and SPOOL3

In jes2 parmlib member on the spool def for volume I specify SPOOL and yet
after ipl'ing

And then going back to SDSF to look for the  spool volumes are on still on the
same pack

> On Mar 21, 2017, at 11:20 AM, Lizette Koehler <stars...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> The best practice for JES2 Spool file is standalone.  Never put
> anything on the same volume as either the SPOOL Space or the CKPT datasets.
>
> That can lead to unintentional issues.
>
> Many shops in the past have tended towards multi-use volumes with
> JES2.  This is not recommended.
>
> With storage arrays, you can code a volume as a MOD9 (9GB, 10,017
> Cylinders) and only place the ckpt or the spool space (not both) on
> it. The array will typically only hold the amount of storage on the
> mod9 as is allocated.  It does not hold the entire 10,017 cylinders
> when you only have a 60 cylinder dataset on it.  As the volume is
> grown - the array will allocate more space to that device until it reaches
> its maximum size.
>
> So, in my shop we have the ckpt on MOD3s and the Spool space on
> MOD54s.  The MOD3s only use a small portion for the ckpt as the ckpt is under
> 1000 cylinders.
> The MOD54s are maxed out as I have allocated the entire amount to the
> Spool space.
>
> So even though there could be 3339 cylinders allocated for the MOD3, I
> am using barely 15% of that.  So the volume is not very large even though it
> could be.
>
> Or your shop could elect to create MOD1s - which is any size you wish
> to define
> - for your ckpt and spool space to be considered stand alone.
>
> When you start to mix files on volumes that should be dedicated - CA1
> TMS, JES Spool or JES ckpt - you can enq that volume and cause issues to
> those products.
>

> Worst case scenario you might encounter is the need to cold start jes2.
>
> Lizette

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any
manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please
reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.