How about doing a portion of the dataset, FTP the result, delete the
intermediate file.  Repeat for each segment.  I. E. last 1 or 2 digits
of an account number, etc.  Using the high order digits could lead to
some groups being pretty large, I.E. SS#s.  Or X number of records.
2nd run skip X, process X.  3rd run Skip 2X, process X, etc.

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 8:08 AM, John McKown
<john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 6:41 AM, Steve Smith <sasd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am over my self-imposed daily limit on IBM-MAIN replies and it's not even
>> 08:00 yet.  However, I see no reason to "enhance" ftp.  In fact, I think
>> the capability to convert to/from ASCII is misguided (as it's used by
>> mistake as often as on purpose - see above).
>>
>> Do whatever it takes to create the actual data set you want to transmit,
>> *then* invoke ftp to transmit it.
>>

> As the OP for this thread, I would generally concur with the above. The
> problem, at present, is that the files of which I am speaking are multi-GiB
> data sets and finding more DASD space can be problematic. We can't get more
> DASD basically because we are doing the ftp's to move data off of z/OS in
> order to "get off the obsolete mainframe and on to current cloud based
> systems" (managements' words, not mine). We could do BINARY ftps, but that
> would require more money to write a Windows program to read the data in
> "mainframe" format and write it out in "Windows" format. We do have
> Microfocus COBOL. Interestingly(?), it can read the "mainframe encoded"
> data (EBCDIC, z series integers & packed decimal) just fine. Unfortunately,
> unless I'm missing something, there is not any option to read in "mainframe
> encoded" mode but write out in "Windows encoded" mode. Of course, being a
> despised mainframe sysprog, I'm not allowed access to the PC environment
> where all this is going on.
>

>> --
>> sas
>>

> --
> "Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
> ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion
>
> Maranatha! <><
> John McKown

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA