http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/zoslib/pdf/OA50569.pdf
Printed page 4:
z/OS 2.2 with OA50569 can create encrypted datasets.
z/OS 2.1 with OA50569 cannot create encrypted datasets, can read
encrypted datasets from 2.2.

So without OA50569, I would assume it would not recognized that it was
encrypted.  It would restore but you could not decrypt it.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 12:46 PM, Mark Jacobs - Listserv
<mark.jac...@custserv.com> wrote:
> I'm not seeing any reason why not, but can a zOS 2.2 system without the
> required maintenance (OA50569) restore logically dumped volumes using
> ADRDSSU that contain datasets encrypted by a zOS 2.2 system that has the
> maintenance applied? There will be no access to this encrypted data on
> the restoring system other than the restore from tape.
> --
> *One grows tired of jelly babies, Castellan. One grows tired of almost
> everything, Castellan, except power.
> -- The Doctor, in David Agnew's _The Invasion of Time_*

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA