> What happens if JCL performs symbol substitution?

I would expect that to be a valid temporary reference.

> R21.7 and later say use DSNAME=&&dsname.

WTF is your e-mail clients doing with ampersands? It looks like it's trying to
convert one of them to HTML but not the other. IAC, &&dsname evaluates to
&dsname, which is a valid temporary as long as dsname adheres to the
restrictions.

> //  SET A2='&&TEMP'

I would expect that to be an invalid temporary reference.

> There's been enough confusion among experts in this forum that a clarifying
> RCF seems appropriate.

Couldn't hurt.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz