No you don't need to copy the file to USS, if you are running a Java batch job.
JCL something like this, which executes the JVM procedure, in this case Java
1.8 64bit. The STDENV DD will need the environment variables, like LIBPATH,
CLASSPATH, Java Options,etc.

//JAVA EXEC PROC=JVMPRC86,
//    REGSIZE='1024M',
//    JAVACLS='-jar "directory path"/"name of Java program compiled".jar'
//*
//MAINARGS DD DUMMY
//STDENV   DD *
export PATH=/bin:"${JAVA_HOME}"/bin
LIBPATH=/lib:/usr/lib:"${JAVA_HOME}"/bin
LIBPATH="$LIBPATH":"${JAVA_HOME}"/lib/s390x
LIBPATH="$LIBPATH":"${JAVA_HOME}"/lib/s390x/j9vm
export LIBPATH="$LIBPATH":
CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:${JAVA_HOME}"/lib:"${JAVA_HOME}"/lib/ext
export CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH":
# Configure JVM options
IJO="-Xms16m -Xmx128m"

As far as encoding, you will need to in account for that in your Java program
during the read.

Hope that helps.  Also, the OMVS segment is a RACF term for the security
definitions when you access USS either via 3270 or something like SSH.

Jerry