Another point of common confusion wrt JZOS:

"JZOS" is really two separate things:

- The "JZOS batch launcher", for starting the Java JVM conveniently in batch

- The "JZOS Toolkit" class library, which has Java classes and native code
for accessing z/OS services and facilities.
   For example:  classes for doing dataset I/O.

You don't have to use the launcher in order to use the JZOS Toolkit class
library, and vice versa.