From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ray Mrohs
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 12:13 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] CA's VM:Manager VM Management Suite

At one point CA offered a group of products specifically for VM/Linux,
consisting of a subset of the full VM:Manager suite. Perhaps they still
do.

My experience:

VM:Spool - Whenever someone reports a problem with a Linux instance, I
use this first to examine that server's open console log. It's a
definite time saver.

VM:Backup HiDRO - Efficient multi-streaming backup and recovery. It's
especially useful for DR purposes due to its simplicity and high level
of automation.

VM:Secure - Thorough directory and resource manager. The menu interface
lets you forget all the old commands needed to do the work manually.

VM:Tape - Everybody hates tape, but this makes the best of it.

The rest are marginally useful in a Linux-only environment, but it
depends on what your additional requirements are. Explore is no longer
being enhanced to my knowledge. Initial configuration can be a little
finicky, but once it's all running, it's solid.

I might also add the CA support team in Herndon VA is second to none!

Ray Mrohs