The problem may have originated with the VTOC IBM shipped on cyl 0 of
the VM5.1 System DDR of 510RES. It says 3340 cyls. CP doesn't care, it
knows the pack is 3339 cyls.

 You CMS ACCESS-ed the device and CMS's Q DISK reported that the VTOC
says the size is 3340 cyls.

This 510RES VTOC bit me when our MVS folks ran a MVS tool to migrate our
VM dasd to a DS8000 storage box; their dasd migration tool compared the
VTOC size info against the actual pack size and quit if they didn't
match.
 All of our VM5.1 systems had this VTOC discrepancy on 510RES and the
tool wouldn't migrate them until I fixed cyl 0.

Anyway, as Dave Kreuter pointed out, when you re-formatted cyl 0 you
trashed the active-directory pointer.  Hopefully you're in a position to
run DIRECTXA with the source directory file and update that cyl 0
pointer.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it
to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail from your system.