> Back in the late 80's during the VM/SP or VM/HPO days, we ran
> RACF for PL2 (then called System High) processing as it was the
> only government approved software package at the time. Sterling
> Software didn't want to submit VM:Secure for testing so we were
> stuck with RACF and DIRMAINT. After we no longer needed PL2 we
> went back to VM:Secure. Now I find that I might have to set up
> our new system to run PL2 and was hoping that I wouldn't have
> to go back to RACF. We are running VM/ESA 2.3. Am I stuck with
> RACF or has someone seen something better out there?

Karl:

VM/SP release 5 + RACF 1.8.2 + DirMaint 1.4.0 + VMTAPE was
successfully evaluated as a class C2 Trusted Computing Base by
the Department of Defense, and several releases of VM/ESA Version
1 were submitted for evaluation against both the C2 and B1
criteria, as documented in DoD publication 5200.28-STD dated
December 1985. While VM/ESA version 2 has not been submitted for
formal evaluation by the DoD, it remains designed to meet the
C2/B1 TCB criteria. Neither the completed evaluation of VM/SP
release 5 nor the partial evaluations of VM/ESA version 1 raised
a concern with the contents of the VM source directory not being
encrypted. These levels of VM are all long out of service,
including VM/ESA 2.3 that you are running.

http://www.vm.ibm.com/related/dirmaint/dirmencr.html

Today, z/VM V5.1 has been certified at the Common Critera EAL3+
level which is the currently used certification standard.

Jim