In linux, what they call swapping is actually paging.  Swapping was an
old term from a time, that apparently it did swap.

My guess, is that this swapping is being driven by a Linux application.
 Note that you really are not paging in.  So, something is being paged
out and never used again.  I'm thinking in the lines of Oracle or DB2
with a large cache area, that is too large for the Linux machine size.
Old data in cache is being paged out by Linux.  Then the database wants
to reuse the oldest cache pages, it just recreates them, without
reloading the old data into storage first.  If that is the case, that is
kind of nicely done.  Some other systems will page in the old pages just
to put new data in them.

It would be a lot worse if you were paging in also.

So once you identify the application doing this, then you/management
can make a decision on either trimming down its memory use, keep it the
same, or increase the size of the Linux machine (which will have that
machine use more real memory, a valuable resource).

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 6/7/2006 9:12 AM >>>
Would someone please shed light on the following for me. What is the
dif from swaping to paging other than swaping is using the swap
space? I can't seem to find much info on paging? I believe if I'm
swapping heavily that's bad, but where does the pageing go and is it
bad for perf? THANX!!!

  % Swap space used          0%
Swap-in rate               0/s
Swap-out rate              0/s
Page-in rate           0.066/s
Page-out rate         50.133/s

Brian W. France
Systems Administrator (Mainframe)
Pennsylvania State University
Administrative Information Services - Infrastructure/Sysarc
Rm 25 Shields Bldg., University Park, Pa. 16802
814-863-4739
[EMAIL PROTECTED]