If I move the cursor up to the Page-in rate and hit PF1 for help, I get this...

Page-in rate             The number of pages paged in per second.

Just didn't know what the difference was. I'm not swapping from what I can tell, but there is paging and I just don't know what the difference is.

At 10:20 AM 6/7/2006, David Kreuter wrote:

Hi Brian: Where are you getting this data from? zvm doesn't "swap" it pages. It will page to expanded storage and/or dasd, and migrate pages from xstore to dasd paging. It will form blocks of pages, but swapping, per se, hasn't existed in vm since, well, hpo.
What product is reporting this data? Is this linux data, which would also be a strange reporting method?
David

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System on behalf of Brian France
Sent: Wed 6/7/2006 10:12 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: [IBMVM]

Would someone please shed light on the following for me. What is the
dif from swaping to paging other than swaping is using the swap
space? I can't seem to find much info on paging? I believe if I'm
swapping heavily that's bad, but where does the pageing go and is it
bad for perf? THANX!!!

  % Swap space used          0%
Swap-in rate               0/s
Swap-out rate              0/s
Page-in rate           0.066/s
Page-out rate         50.133/s

Brian W. France
Systems Administrator (Mainframe)
Pennsylvania State University
Administrative Information Services - Infrastructure/Sysarc
Rm 25 Shields Bldg., University Park, Pa. 16802
814-863-4739
[EMAIL PROTECTED]