On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:17:14 -0500, Mike Walter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

wrote:

>PCOM's keyboard remapping utility won't allow you to re-map (or turn off
)
>the Scroll Lock key.  Has anyone else discovered a way to forcibly preve
nt
>this cursed key from working while in a 3270 emulator session?  Thanks i
>advance.

<humor>
This won't work on a laptop, but for a desktop system this is one way you

you can *forcibly* disable the Scroll Lock key: unplug your keyboard (if

using a wireless keyboard - remove the batteries).  Whenever you're ready

to use it or any other key, simply reverse the process.

For a laptop I suggest deleting your keyboard driver.  However, this is

not as easy to reverse as the desktop method.
</humor>

<semi-humor>
Another option is a virtual keyboard utiltity.  These create a keyboard

window, and rather than typing on a physical keyboard you click the keys

on the virtual keyboard with your mouse and the utility forwards the key

to the application.  Virtual keyboard utilities give the user complete

control over what keys appear on the virtual keyboard and their layout.

Hunt-n-peck typers exhibit no slowdown in their keyboarding speed and in

many cases are faster because the "hunt" time is reduced!  Users can also

take advantage of the "macro-key" feature and define keys which result in

multiple keypresses - allowing serial, simultaneous, and sequences of
keypresses.  (Users without mice will want to use a touch-screen enabled

system or the voice recognition mode.)
</semi-humor>

<wish mode>
Future PC's, laptops in particular, will all be equipped with touchscreen

keyboards which can be similarly reconfigured.  When this happens the
virtual keyboard utility will no longer be useful.
</wish mode>

Brian Nielsen