Title: RE: RES: VSE/VSAM for VM

Since the product is soooo stable, then what is the cost to continue to support it?
It all looks like smoke and mirrors to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU]On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:22 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: RES: VSE/VSAM for VM

On Tuesday, 06/20/2006 at 11:02 CET, "Jones, Ian H" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Thank you Mark. This is directed at IBM -
>
> Auditors do not care tuppence whether a product is 'stable'. If a
> product is used to support a production workload they expect it to be
> *supported*. An auditor's reaction will vary from an 'observation' that
> an unsupported product is being used, to a recommendation that use of
> the product be discontinued. In a business environment where auditors'
> reports can cause a company to lose a contract, no one can afford to use
> unsupported software.

I'm not sure what you're directing to IBM, Ian.  In accordance with the
terms of the license agreement, we've given the necessary notice about end
of service, as we promised.  We've even gone back and reevaluated the
decision.

I would agree with you that you should should follow your company's
policies with regard to the software you use.  (BTW, auditors determine
whether you comply with the policy; they don't create policy unless there
is some area not covered by policy or the policy is too vague.)

That does yield some choices (not everyone can choose from all of these):
- Reengineer the programs on Power or Intel architecture
- Move the programs to z/OS or z/VSE
- Reengineer the programs to not use VSAM
- Obtain an extended support contract (contact your IBM Business Partner
or IBM rep)
- Change the policy to allow unsupported "stable" software
- Obtain an approved deviation from policy based on cost/risk
- In the dim mists of eons past, there was a mechanism that allowed CMS
VSAM requests to be redirected to DB2 for VM & VSE (added as an SPE to
VM/SP 3, if memory still serves).  I have no idea if that option is still
available.

All good things must come to an end, and change is the inevitable result.
In the real world, change costs money.  So the question is: Which option
(a) costs least, and (b) meets your company's requirements?

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed VSE-List messages and set aside VM-List for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  http://www.ellaforspam.com