You can attach the volume to the linux guest but to link it , you must be
attached to the system.
Does that help ?

Larry Schiber
VM Systems Programmer
256-520-1340 (cel)
256-864-0064 (home office)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

             "Hines, Bernard"
             <Bernard.Hines-1@
             NASA.GOV>                                                  To
             Sent by: The IBM          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  Linux IPL volume

             06/20/2006 09:26
             AM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

We are trying to IPL a LINUX guest where we have the volume attached 'CP
ATTACH xxxx * yyyy' or referenced with a "LINK userid xxxx yyyy " statement
etc.

In other words we don't have it attached to the system (att xxxx system).

We keep receiving the below message:
HCPVMI232E IPL UNIT ERROR; IRB 00404017 00020A78 00200018 00080000
HCPGIR450W CP entered; disabled wait PSW 000E0000 00000232

Somewhere in the back of my limited knowledge I remember a reference as to
the "IPL volume" for a guest having to be attached to the system or
dedicated to the guest. Is that an accurate statement?

The information contained in this message may be confidential and is
intended to be exclusively for the addressee.
Should you receive this message unintentionally, please do not use the
contents herein and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.

Nasa Data Center
  z/OS390 Systems
  z/VM Systems
  Linux on z/VM
  IFMP Support
Marshall Space Flight Center
256.544.0769

I refuse to tiptoe through life... just to arrive unscathed at Death's
door!

 Bernard Hines