Bernard,

Was Linux installed while this volume was attached to a guest? A guest can be IPLed from an attached volume or a minidisk.

Hines, Bernard wrote:
We are trying to IPL a LINUX guest where we have the volume attached 'CP ATTACH xxxx * yyyy' or referenced with a "LINK userid xxxx yyyy " statement etc.

In other words we don't have it attached to the system (att xxxx system).

We keep receiving the below message: HCPVMI232E IPL UNIT ERROR; IRB 00404017 00020A78 00200018 00080000
HCPGIR450W CP entered; disabled wait PSW 000E0000 00000232

Somewhere in the back of my limited knowledge I remember a reference as to the "IPL volume" for a guest having to be attached to the system or dedicated to the guest. Is that an accurate statement? The information contained in this message may be confidential and is intended to be exclusively for the addressee. Should you receive this message unintentionally, please do not use the contents herein and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.

*Nasa Data Center*
  z/OS390 Systems
  z/VM Systems
  Linux on z/VM
  IFMP Support
*/Marshall Space Flight Center/*
256.544.0769

/I refuse to tiptoe through life... just to arrive unscathed at Death's door!/ ***/ Bernard Hines/*

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2007 - Green Bay, WI - May 18-22, 2007