It could be how the keyboard on your emulator is mapped, i.e. if you are on a different PC on different systems. In a previous life, the default emulator keyboard was mapped such that I had to use a "back slash" rather than the "hat" symbol--at least until I got smart enough to figure out it was the keyboard mapping.
Jim