Since Ficon and SAN are new to me, I need to clarify following scenario:

1 – Today we have an IBM z890 with Escon and Ficon channels installed.

2 – We have some z/Linux guest machines under z/VM.

3 – We want to use some available space in a SAN compost of SUN SE-6320, 2 switch FC Brocade 3850, one SUN LTO-2 to hold a Data Base application to be accessed by z/Linux.

My questions are:

A – It’s possible to connect Ficon channels directly to SAN switch?

B – If A isn’t true, there are an alternative. (A black box to convert signals)

Sun support team say that this machine (SE-6320) is for mid-range environment with SCSI characteristics, and isn’t possible to connect Ficon channel to it, but and about FCP feature of z890? It’s supported by z/VM, right?

Thanks in advance for comments and experiences about.

Carlos Bodra