> Ordinary rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropanol, but many stores
> (grocery stores or drug stores) also have 99% isopropanol.
> If you have a near by chemistry lab you can get reagent grade,
> which is probably 99.99% or so. (Not counting the water that
> will get in as soon as you open the bottle.)

I was able to locate a source for quart jugs of reel-to-reel cleaning
fluid, which contains the flouroethyline additive (in addition to the
alcohol). Apparently, radio and TV stations still buy the stuff in
quantity w/o permits, and still use it for the pro-grade equipment.

> Are you warming the heads?  I have heard over the years that
> it the favorite way to reduce flaking.  The first time I heard
> that one was an article in Popular Science about a video tape
> recorder that used 0.25in tape linear recording at 120in/s.
> (Many years before Beta, or even U-matic.)  Warming the heads
> was necessary to prevent scraping the oxide off even of new
> tapes at that speed.

Several people have suggested this. The problem at this point is that
the tapes are already so damaged that most of the techniques just can't
help -- we're beyond that point. The oxide is already literally falling
off the backing.

Nota bene: Inquiring about purchasing industrial chemicals in the
Washington DC area gets various people *really* paranoid. Counting
police cars in the area has shown a marked increase, and I'm not
convinced it's due to increased crime.

I suppose it's one way to get better police coverage. 8-(

- db