Ed,

All pages on your paging volume "go away" when you IPL anyway.  The
easiest method might be:
1- Dedicate a whole new DASD to paging (paging and spool involve
seldom-ending channel programs for good performance,   interrupting those
channel programs for other activity on the disk reduces system
performance).  For example, let's use as the new volser: VMPG01 on rdev
200
2- Attach rdev 200 to your ID at 200
3- Running CPFMTXA: LABEL 200 as VMPG01,
   FORMAT that 200 from cylinder zero to the end, and
   ALLOCATE it for only paging (I still prefer to allocate PAGE 0 as PERM,
and 1-END as PAGE).
E.g. PERM 0 0
     PAGE 1 END
3- Update your SYSTEM CONFIG to add the new DASD (maybe VMPG01 ?) as
CP_Owned.
4- Now that you have a new page volume ready, you can get CP ready to not
use the old page space at the next IPL.
   CP reads the allocation bit map only when the volume comes online, so
you can change it ahead of time.
   - Link R/W to your 430RES and 430W03 DASD (you can define full-pack
MDISKs to let you do that),
   - run CPFMTXA to ALLOCATE the paging cylinders on both as PERM space
(do NOT format them!)
     Only change the PAGE allocation to PERM.
E.g. 430RES as PERM 257 390
     430W03 as PERM 1802 1901
5- Schedule a SHUTDOWN REIPL

After the IPL you *may* want to CPFMTXA the old page cylinders on 430RES
and 430W01 just to see if that causes I/O errors.  If so, you know who to
contact.  :-)

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates

"Edward M. Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
07/21/2006 10:38 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: HCPCLS174E using VSE SA util tape

Hello Alan,

                 I have been starting to see other messages that are
leading me
to actually believe that I have a bad disk.

                 Suddenly I can not logon MAINT without getting that
message.
(IPL 190).  IPL CMS works ok.

Ready; T=0.01/0.02 11:30:43
q alloc page
            EXTENT EXTENT  TOTAL  PAGES   HIGH    %
VOLID  RDEV  START    END  PAGES IN USE   PAGE USED
------ ---- ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ----
430RES 0792    257    390  24120    767    829   3%
430W03 075C   1802   1901  18000    240    250   1%
                          ------ ------        ----
SUMMARY                    42120   1007          2%
USABLE                     42120   1007          2%

                 .

Could I
1) I can get a volume with only paging on it

2) tell System Config that the new volume is first, re-ipl,

3) do a q alloc page to ensure that the 430RES/430W03 page areas are not
being used.

4) either change the allocation to remove the page areas from
430RES/430W03,
                 or cpformat just those areas.

Ed Martin
Aultman Health Foundation
330-588-4723
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ext. 40441

On
> Behalf Of Alan Altmark
> Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 11:00 AM
> To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
> Subject: Re: HCPCLS174E using VSE SA util tape
>
> On Friday, 07/21/2006 at 10:33 AST, "Edward M. Martin"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >       I really thing it is something on the VSE/ESA system and
creating
> the sa
> > tape.
>
> Ed, that's a CP message, not VSE, and it doesn't have anything to do
with
> the content of the tape.  CP is basically saying he can't run the IPL
> command.
>
> I suggest that you get another paging volume, CPFMTXA it and allocate
it
> for paging, attach it to the system, *detach* all other paging volumes
> (DETACH ... FROM SYSTEM) and reformat them.  Then you can reverse that
> sequence and get things back where they belong, or just reipl.
>
> If you *still* have problems, then the game's afoot and you should
contact
> the support center (z/VM 4.4 and later only).
>
> Alan Altmark
> z/VM Development
> IBM Endicott

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message,
including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of
the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited.