Who hasn't written a test EXEC called 'X' only to execute it the next time
they try to get into XEDIT !!!!!!!!!!

Why would you? Don't you have the system alias X for Xedit?  I even
have user alias for popular mistyped commands (like RECIEVE).

I admit there is a subtle difference that the X EXEC would only be
invoked when you use the X abbreviation, while XEDIT EXEC would be
invoked also by (sloppy) code that meant to use the XEDIT command. But
I am not sure that was what you wanted an X EXEC for.

Rob