What about just connecting the two together using your normal LAN, but
assign them to a VLAN that only they are on? With an OSA, a single OSA
port on both could be attached to the same switch, which also goes to
the general LAN. On each OSA port, you can have multiple IP devices with
different IP address, even on separate subnets. I hope that I'm making
sense. I am not really well versed in IP terminology.

Eg. Generate 8 OSA addresses on a single OSA. For example 1000-1007.
This is two sets of 4 addresses 1000-1003 and 1004-1007. In the TCPIP
defination, use 1000-1003 for IP address 192.168.0.1 (private subnet
between the two z990s) for one system and 192.168.0.2 for the other
system. Use a mask of 255.255.255.252 so that they won't react to very
many other addresses. This should make this LAN segment fairly private.

Or use one OSA to a port on the switch from each z990. That's two switch
ports in total. Now, configure the switch to put those ports on the
same, unique, VLAN. This will stop the switch from routing the data out
to the general LAN. Or just don't connect the switch to the general LAN.
Or maybe you could just "cross connect" the OSAs without a switch? I
don't know about that.

If the z990s need to have IP connectivity to the general LAN, then use a
second OSA on each, connected to the same (or different) switch on a
different VLAN.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.