Are you sure that you are not on 5.2? :-)

We recently had something like this happen on a 5.2 system; however, it
apparently was a result of the conversion to 64-bit CP and not applicable to
5.1. It was a 2GB line issue. Because of a memory leak below the 2G line, CP
was finding it difficult to locate two adjacent pages and was looping. When it
got to the point that all 5 cpus were in the same condition, the system was
dead. We lost, in order, VTAM, VMSECURE, OPERATOR, and TCPIP as the system
slowly ground to a halt. A RESTART dump enabled IBM to identify the problem.
Our failure occurred early in our fourth day of running 5.2. It has now been
almost 1 month since our last IPL, so the leak appears to have been plugged.

The moral of the story is that you should obtain a dump when something like
this happens. Without it, nobody can diagnose the problem, they can only guess.
You don't need a stand-alone dump. The RESTART dump (code SVC002) has been in
VM for as long as I can remember.

Regards,
Richard Schuh