One of the z/OS systems on our processor owns the IODF TOKEN and we have been able to add devices that have been defined on the z/OS side. Our SYSTEM CONFIG does not have anything in it that Rick mentioned and it has been 2-3 years now since the devices were added. I suspect that on the VM side, after the devices were dynamically added on the z/OS lpar, we or I did a DEF CU and a DEF DEVICE on the VM lpars.

Jim

Rick Barlow wrote:
There is one key statement in the Features section of SYSTEM CONFIG.  It
could be either in the Enable or Disable section and that will determine
how your system behaves.

"NEW_DEVices_Initialized_When_added" tell CP whether to accept the MCH
interrupts when the configuration gets changed.

You can further restrict some of the actions using the ACCEPTED/NOTACCEPTED
and SENSED/NOTSENSED pairs.

I think the default setup if you don't modify SYSTEM CONFIG is that
everything is anabled and CP will accept the new devices and try to use
Sense to identify them and build the RDEV blocks.

____________________________________
Rick Barlow
Systems Engineering Consultant
Nationwide Services Co., Enterprise Business Intelligence Services
Mainframe, z/VM and zSeries Linux Support
One Nationwide Plaza  3-20-13
Columbus OH 43215-2220   U.S.A
Voice: (614) 249-5213    Fax: (614) 677-0821
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on 09/19/2006
12:15:31 PM:

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

z/OS team has decided they want to dynamically define something to on of
our lpars.  We don't have any of the Features statements in system
config for anything dynamic.  Will we recognize these devices they add?

Thanks in advance.

Marcy Cortes

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein.  If you have received this
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation."

--
Jim Bohnsack
Cornell University