--- Rick Troth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Gotta be careful about this,  Dave.
> Even when the program "completes" you might not want
> all storage freed.

Thats kind of what I am after. This started when I
tried porting BREXX to VM/370 and I needed to run
programs from BREXX so I needed a system() call in the
GCC library...

> The full impact of what you are asking is a little
> beyond me,
> but CMS is a lot different from z/OS or Unix (any
> POSIX) in that it
> still supports that  "terminate and stay resident"
> idea.
> (And maybe you are fully aware.  Sorry if I am
> telling you
> what you already know.)

Yes, If I was using DMSSTOR and DMSFREE I would have
used the SYSTEM or NUCLEUS flag (sorry I forget which
and I wanted to answer this now not next week when I
have the manual out) so that the storage would be
preseved until I wanted to release it. However GETMAIN
does not seem to support such tricks...