They are wasting your time. The only information you have given us is a r
ange of 19nnn-29nnn port
numbers. Those could be literally anything, and the same numbers could be
 used for something else
the next day. It's absurd for them to expect you to go back six months. I
f they cannot trap actual
packets when it is happening, there is no way you are ever going to figur
e it out after the fact. Short
of tracing on ports 19000-29999, and saving the data for 6 months, what i
s there left to do?

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:57:37 -0700, Schuh, Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrot
e:

>Alan,
>
>If we knew when to trace, it might be a viable option; however, we never
 hear about it when it is
happening. Sometimes we don't hear until over a month after the fact. The
 first time we were told of
a problem was 6 months after the first occurrence. The ports change each
month, so we cannot know
which to trace until the blitz starts. The network people are not even aw
are of it while it is
happening. Someone from InfoSec who is reviewing the logs after the fact
detects that it happened.