And so it begins,

  Management has decided after a year of thinking that the era of the
mainframe is over here. The final "I"'s are being doted, "T"'s being
crossed on a monster contract to replace our main application with a
Computer Off The Shelf product. I love that acronym. COST or costs more is
more to the point. I have read about more failed C/S system conversions
based on the idea that the mainframe is Sooo.. expensive.  My current
operating budget is about $250,000/year and has a current operational life
of about two more years giving a respectable $300,000/year operating cost
over the 6 year operational plan. Yet we are about to embark on a C/S
solution that replaces the current main application at $750,000/year for 5
years. Confused, I am!
 The current management mandated that I hold or reduce expenses for the
past 7 years he has been in office. I did that leaving the I/T department
at about 5% of total budget last year. Down from about 12% when he took
office. Yet here we are spending 3 times more to do what some might say is
the same work. I tend to think that we are loosing substantial capability
as our historical data is being left behind. Where in the mind of the
business today is it justifiable to spend more and more to do less and
less.
  I'm not saying that the mainframe hasn't seen it's day here, it really
has. There is a lot more to consider than a platform. We currently run pure
VM using WEBSHARE CGI's to DB2 for our main driver. usually driving 100,000
transactions or HTTP requests per day plus batch COBOL.  My long term
expectation was to create a platform independent application that could
grow and morph without the user needing to reinvent their jobs. I felt, and
still do that Web based applications are and will be the best user
presentation means to that end.   We currently tie in to four other
government office systems seamlessly through HTML links. In virtually all
cases there was no need to place requirements on the other offices for
those interfaces to work. The new system will require the vendor to create
linkages out of there client to a web page to emulate that capability. This
is a step backwards.
  Looks like some time next month we will kick of what will most likely be
a long year of waiting and wanting. As I see it first hand the mainframe is
as dead as IBM can make it and still milk income from it. The systems we
put together here on a shoestring budget, and with two people, are first
rate in terms of function. The vendor, talking management in to dropping
much of it because they cannot handle it is clear enough for me. Having
delved into Windows programming this year just far enough to wet my feet
has proven that Microsoft's data base is a third string player to DB2 and
others, so performance isn't an issue.
  Costs are deceiving. By moving the main cost element from hardware to
software/services the sales teams are flimflamming there way to customers.
The problem is that those same companies can be sold out, bought out or
just plain go bankrupt at any time (one actual did). We are in the business
of local government. We don't/can't just walk away. I spent six years in
the NAVY and you learn that there's one hand for you and the other for the
ship because that's all there is. The people of our community have
expectations that government will just plane function is any situation. I
dare say Katrina was an example of what government can really do when the
ship is sinking.
  IBM is a business and as such has but one goal. I here a lot about
business cases on this list. There are many cases where it's just the right
thing to do. VM, VSE, and VM/DB2 still linger because there are customers
still willing to pay the prices IBM sets. But none of these systems are
growing. IBM itself is not making any effort to market them. That my
friends is the death blow. My management doesn't see a future in these
system or/and IBM. IBM's  biggest failing is that they forced there
customers to re-evaluate there positions by removing a stead fast
foundation from which to build apron.
  I now find my self in Catch 22. I can't leave since I make good money
after 20 years on the job. The vendor takes over most of my skill set in a
few months and I'm left waiting for the cut over to see my job cut as well.
I could be bitter but I'm mostly disappointed that I achieved virtually all
of management's requirements through the years only to be sent on my way to
old to be marketable and to young to retire.

Steve Domarski     352-368-8350
Property Appraisers Office Marion County Florida USA