Same here brother. Three years ago we had no IBM equipment whatsoever on site; today we have a Z800, a Shark, an iSeries, and a bladeserver, all working together very harmoniously. And all of it put together with a lot of BS&T.

The mainframe, for example, is running about 20 instances of zLinux under z/VM, all of which are managed by essentially one person. The Linux systems support lots of users with 3270 clients (yes, Linux and 3270 clients - much better response time this way! :)  and with a really slick homebuilt debugger, VSAM, and oh yeah - it is all pretty much written in HLASM.  I'm as proubd of this as I can be, and it is both cost efficient and fast fast fast fast.... :)

It *can* be done - the doing of it is something that takes a lot of time and committment though.

-Paul

--- Begin Message ---
I am working for a large gov't client.  We worked *LONG* and *HARD* on
the z/series business case - over 1 year. This included a successful POC
showing that the platform (Oracle on linux on the mainframe using z/vm)
would work - not performance - but feasible. The result is a nascent
z9/ec with 130+ Oracle servers - with lots more work (Oracle and other
apps) planned.  Believe me its my pride and joy after my charming
children, of course.  The customer really likes it, too. We're saving a
lot money on Oracle licenses, we support z/VM with 2 sysprogs, and 100+
servers with one linux guy (well, now it's 2). DBAs for Oracle were a
wash. Disaster recovery was a huge win - as in z/series does it easily
while other platforms - well, just can't get it rolling at DR.

IBM was the focal point for this, plus, one person from IBM championed
the solution for 18 months. Lesser mortals would have abandoned the
project at the first turbulent meeting. Winning hearts and minds took a
lot of effort. There are still doubters, but, it's tough to argue with
success.

I'm not suggesting that our issues are the same as the issues that Steve
has dealt with.
David