To: <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 7:46 AM
Subject: Re: Another long slow decline.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of P. Raulerson
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 8:12 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

Yep, I mean Linux Assembler application code driving 3270
client screens
really really  fast.
Yes, not just assembler, but HLASM (the GOOD stuff!) running
in a Linux
guest. Doing all sorts of neat
things, like printing, talking over the network, process
control, and a
whole bunch more.

With an Assembler Debugger that is hands down the best
Assembler development
tool anyone could imagine.
:)

VSAM?  Well- we call it GSAM because the guy who wrote it in
a couple weeks
is named George. Why not? It is very very fast, and does not have the
overhead of a DBRMS. It handles things like variable length
records and so
forth, and embeds the indexes in the same physical file as
the data. (Makes
it very easy to move things around.) We had to write file sharing and
locking, but that was not overly onerous.

And did I mention this stuff runs FAST?  REAL FAST?

-Paul
<grin>

Man, that is a dream-come-true. But we are on the "Commercial,
Off-the-Shelf Software" bandwagon now. Management here would likely die
laughing if we suggested such an environment. Too expensive! (their
mantra) Takes too long to implement! And so on as to why it is
impossible. Well, the HLASM part is definately "impossible" around here.
I have enough problems helping the programmers with COBOL questions. Oh,
and the problems are not on my end. And the answers are in the COBOL
manuals. They just don't have time to read it.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.