Perhaps it is time for the user community to define and write some assembler
language subroutines to interface bewteen C programs and the VM/CMS
environment.
Much like that FORTRAN library that used to be offered by IBM.

I don't have a C compiler that can be used to test such subroutines/functions
with (except maybe GCC) but I used to enjoy writting those types of routines
when I use to run FORTRAN programs to model the earth's weather. Those programs
ran a lot better under VM/CMS than under MVS.

/Tom Kern