On Thursday, 11/30/2006 at 08:49 EST, Ray Mansell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Long ago one could indeed use other codes, but this proved to be a
> security hole. (One could send non-displayable messages containing
> privileged commands to a privileged user such that the next time that
> user pressed the ENTER key, the command would be executed. Not that *I*
> ever did anything like that, of course... well, except perhaps for pure
> research purposes.)  The fix for that was to filter only the
> highlighting codes.  The ESAY program I mentioned a couple of days ago
> allows you to generate colourful linemode output, but only under control
> of CP, so there are no explicit attribute codes involved.

Just in case anyone cares, the only 3270 order CP allows in linemode I/O
is Start Field (0x1D).  All others are converted to blanks (tab is
converted to 0x6A).  And you're right, CP allows you to manipulate only
bits 4 & 5 in the attribute byte that follows the SF. (Note: If you set
your output to 'invisible' it will still be visible in a console log.)

Your program takes advantage of the fact that CP constructs the 3270
datastream at the time the virtual I/O is performed, not when it is
displayed, and is what also allows mixed red & black on the same line on
the 3215.  :-)