I am surprized. but indeed, each time a GLOBALV SETP or PUTP is issued, it
is written in LASTING GLOBALV, even if the value is the same as before. So
yes indeed a careless use of SETP/PUTP can cause huge LASTING GLOBALV
files.

But, GLOBALV INIT is supposed to cleanup the file, removing all but the
last settting for each variable.  And as far as I know, a GLOBALV INIT is
done by the SYSPROF EXEC, but also the very first time GLOBALV is used.
And you say your server is restarted every day, so cleanup should be done.

Unless: the server would have its A-disk R/O when GLOBALV INIT is done,
or, the A-disk is changed after the GLOBALV INIT (I obtained a fix
precisely for this problem in the the DGTSRVxx servers of DFSMS).

Beware: don't place GLOBALV INIT commands everywhere: it not only
reads/cleans the LASTING GLOBALV A file, but also wipes out all GLOBALV
variables that are saved in storage only.

Kris,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on
2006-12-21 20:01:34: