On Dec 27, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Richard Corak wrote:

I and a colleague extended the PLI version of Adventure
to include a helium balloon and Davy Jones' Locker, among
other things.  For me, it was more fun writing the code
that it was playing the game.

Have a look at

www.inform-fiction.org

(I'm writing a quite large game in Inform 7 at the moment)

Inform 6 and TADS 2 and 3 are domain-specific procedural programming languages for creating text adventures. You might enjoy them (writing games is indeed more fun thatn playing them). I7 is a domain-specific declarative programming language. Cool stuff.

I still have hardcopy of the source code and the
database.

Adam