I distinctly remember back in 1986 bringing in V/Safe (intercepted common
CP ABENDS, doing fix-ups where possible and letting the system continue
without an IPL), V/Snap (before IBM had a CP SNAPDUMP command), and
V/Force.

When we needed it, V/Force went into recursive ABENDs, taking down the
system (and almost my next salary increase!).  John (don't remember his
last name) from VMSG flew in several times for weekend S/A time to
recreate (successful) and resolve (unsuccessful) the problem.  Pity.  But
now we seldom see the error anyway (hence, my "HUNGUSER HELPME" since I
won't remember all the techniques to diagnose it from memory).

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Shimon Lebowitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
01/04/2007 10:53 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Logoff force pending

I seem to remember that the old V/Force included somehow
disabling all devices attached to the hung user, so that even
if it DID 'wake up', it no longer would/could do any new I/O.

I think it might have also detached devices not 'in use',
but I am less sure of this.

Anyone remember more details?

Shimon

On 4 Jan 2007 at 10:40, Mike Walter wrote:

> David,
>
> If that works, great.  But because you have the NEW directory entry with

> R/W access (presumably MW or MWV, since the hung user already has them
> R/W) to the same DASD/MDISKs as the hung user, you are taking a chance.
If
> that hung user should reawaken (perhaps the device it was hung up on was

> IMLed, etc.) and start writing to the same DASD/MDISKs as the NEW
userid,
> you have what I call "one-way encryption" (aka: hosed DASD).
>
> Hung users have been known to reawaken ("Arise Lazarus!").  If they
> complete an I/O all "heck" can break loose.  With luck (what it seems
you
> have been relying on), they just complete logoff without completing any
> pending I/O.

> loaded the gun and pointed it there.  "Your Aim May Vary".  :-)
> But perhaps you have a different technique that prevents the hung user
> from writing to the same DASD/MDISKS as the NEW userid?
>
> Mike Walter
> Hewitt Associates
> Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
> represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

> -------------------
> Mike:
>
>     In the past, when the "hung" user is an operating system (VSE or
> MVS), I create a NEW directory entry with everything the same as the
> "hung" user (DASD, minidisks, etc.) EXCEPT the user name. That new user
> then can IPL fine. Later, when convenient to IPL, we do so, removing the
> temporary user directory entry before the IPL.
>
>     The advantage of this method is there is no risk to crashing the
> system.
>
> David Wakser
> InfoCrossing
>

> The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if
the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any
attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents
of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient
> is strictly prohibited.

Shimon Lebowitz                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
VM System Programmer           .
Israel Police National HQ.     http://www.poboxes.com/shimonpgp
Jerusalem, Israel              phone: +972 2 542-9877  fax: 542-9308

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender