On 1/4/07, Jim Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In my experience with compiling REXX my initial response would be "no" you
would not see much (if any) benefit.  There are two general reasons for
compiling a REXX routine: to hide the contents from the casual observer or
to improve performance when the logic does a lot of repetitive things (code
loops).

If your compiled REXX program is significantly faster than the
interpreted version, quite often you can improve it further by at
least the same factor using some proper CMS Pipelines (open to
challenges on a spare evening).
Some people feel the first reason that Jim mentioned is also
sufficiently addressed by my plumbing (now that Melinda does not add
comments to my pipes anymore). I don't think that's fair. If you
replace 500 lines of REXX by 50 lines with CMS Pipelines, you should
not expect that you also will can understand the function in 10% of
the time. It's just that when you're used to wade through pages of
REXX code, you may not have the patience to read plumbing.

Rob