On 1/23/07, Thomas Kern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Could this "Virtual San" be some modification of the Shared/Byte File System
server? With IPGATE, that could even be used across LPARs via hypersockets and
across physical machines via other TCPIP connections.

Well, that's basically NFS to serve BFS space. While I admit we never
had the need to study it in more detail, so far I have not been
impressed by the performance of the VM NFS server. If you're going NFS
then I suppose it would be more realistic to have a Linux server host
it. But each Linux virtual machine would still need its own local disk
space to hold the basic materials to get the network going (or maybe
do something with an NSS or implement booting from network).
Have not looked at iSCSI in detail yet. Some folks I respect tell me
not to do that...

You sort of have the concept with the "emulated FBA device" where you
give the server a chunk of disk space and let z/VM determine where it
is kept. Unfortunately both Linux and CP have to go a long way in
dealing with emulation details because the underlaying model was not
meant for this.

While standing at the virtual white board... Since CP can already
provide some form of virtual QDIO devices, it would seem more
attractive to enhance that into virtual FCP. The good thing about that
is also that it allows CP flexibility in reordering the I/O requests
and perform them in a way that makes sense on a global level. Some
interaction between CP paging and this virtual FCP might be very
attractive.
The scope of things like WWPN in Linux would be local to the z/VM
system, and up to CP to interpret (e.g. to distinguish between swap
space and real data).

Rob